You can always find the latest system specifications at thesims2.com by clicking here
If you have a T&L capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM then you need at least:
* 800 MHz P3 processor
* 256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98 or Windows 2000
* A T&L-capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM.
Supported video cards:
* ATI Radeon™ series (7000 or better):
- Radeon VE Series (non-T&L - see note below)
- Radeon 7000, 7200, 7500
- Radeon 8500, All-In-Wonder 8500
- Radeon 9000, 9200, 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800
- Radeon X300, X600, X800
* Nvidia® Quadro™ series:
- Quadro, Quadro2, Quadro4
* Nvidia® Geforce series (GeForce2 and better):
- GeForce3, 3 Ti
- GeForce4, 4Ti, MX 420, 440
- GeForce FX 5200, 5600, 5700, 5800, 5900, 5950
- GeForce 6800
* Intel® Extreme Graphics (non-T&L - see note below)
- 82845, 82865, 82915
If you have a non-T&L capable video card, such as Intel Extreme Graphics or Radeon VE series, custom textures in The Sims 2 HomeCrafter Plus may appear overly bright. The custom content, however, will appear correctly in the game.
From the nVidia
Transform & Lighting (T&L) definition: Two separate engines on the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) that provide for a powerful, balanced PC platform and enable extremely high polygon count scenes. Transform performance determines how complex objects can be and how many can appear in a scene without sacrificing frame rate. Lighting techniques add to a scene's realism by changing the appearance of objects based on light sources.
Some other notes about video cards:
T&L video cards started shipping around 3 years ago, so if you got your computer in the last couple of years you should check and see if you have a T&L card.
It's always a good idea to make sure you have the most current drivers for your video cards. The manufacturers usually have the video drivers on their sites for you to download. Visit the nVidia
site or the ATI
for the latest drivers for those video cards.
Question and answer provided by the official FAQ